Thursday, May 1, 2008

Making a Radio Show

So I write this radio show called "Gardening in a Minute." A lot of work goes into the show, which airs every weekday on NPR stations in about half the counties in the state (we're working on syndicating it throughout the rest of Florida).

I've estimated that it takes about ninety minutes of my time (from writing to recording) to make each minute-long show, plus a lot of time on the part of our host, our producer, another writer, and all of our faculty reviewers.

We record shows about once every two weeks. It takes a whole morning, and today I thought it would be fun to document the process.


"You're acting like an annoying tourist," Tom said. I reminded him that he's the American going to Holland in a few days.

After I write between ten and twenty shows and we review them a few times, we record them.

We drive across campus to WUFT-FM in our ghetto state car. Note missing hubcap; the passenger-side front window doesn't roll down. Also, it makes a clunking noise on the highway. Oh, and the turning radius means you get to practice your six-point turns in any space, no matter how large!


Our producer, Ben, lets us into the fortress.


We go upstairs to the studio.


Tom and Ben talk about sports for a little bit and I give them their copies of the scripts.


Tom enters his chamber of seclusion, separated from us by a pane of glass.


Ben and I hang out in the control room.


It has a nifty control panel. I can push a button on it and talk to Tom.


This is what Ben and I see as we record the show.


If I get closer to the window, this is what Tom looks like.


I look at my script as he reads, to make sure he doesn't ad-lib anything (happens all the time, especially if he forgot to bring his glasses that day).


Between scripts I do a crossword or stare out the window.

1 comment:

Emily said...

And, you call that working!