Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Broccoli and Leek Pie

I invented a new recipe! This is a very exciting turn of events for me. I'm a pretty good cook, but can't just produce dishes out of thin air like some of my friends, e.g., Kim and Tia.

It all started with the mystery novels I've been obsessed with for the past month. I've been reading all of Elizabeth George's oeuvre for the second or third time. The stories take place in England, and a passing mention was made in one of the books to broccoli and leek pie. I thought, "Now, how would I go about making a broccoli and leek pie?" When I came up with something that seemed like it might work, I got started.

First I made a pie crust (the recipe for this one can be found in The Enchanted Broccoli Forest, by Mollie Katzen). Then I began to assemble the filling:

2 sticks celery, minced
2 leeks, sliced
1 medium-sized baking potato, diced
1 head broccoli, chopped (should be 2-3 cups)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup white wine/cooking wine/sherry
3-ish tablespoons minced red onion
1 cup cottage cheese
1 egg
1 tablespoon of butter and 1 tablespoon of olive oil, or similar combination
1/2 - 1 cup grated Gruyere
1 - 2 tablespoons lemon juice
A few tablespoons minced parsley
Thyme, rosemary, tarragon, basil (about 1/2 teaspoon of each)
Salt and pepper to taste

1) Make pie crust and refrigerate; preheat oven to 375.
2) Lightly steam broccoli and immediately drain; cook potato in boiling water in covered pot for 10 - 15 minutes, until pretty soft.
3) Melt butter and oil in large pan over medium heat and add leeks. Saute alone for a few minutes, then add red onion, lemon juice, celery, garlic, spices, parsley.
4) When everything's softening up, add wine. Cook uncovered over medium heat till the wine starts to evaporate, then turn up the heat to medium-high and cover until the leeks are soft.
5) Mix together cottage cheese, egg, and cheese in large bowl.
6) Add potatoes, broccoli, and leek mixture, stirring thoroughly. Then add to pie shell and bake for 30-45 minutes, until cheese is bubbly, crust is golden, and top of pie is beginning to brown.



Delicious!

5 comments:

Linda said...

Looks delicious ... well done.

Kim Taylor Kruse said...

I can attest that this pie was absolutely delicious! Thank-you for sharing -- both the recipe and a slice of the tasty pie.

Kim Taylor Kruse said...

Ha ha! I'm tagging you because I enjoy reading your blog! All you have to do is post 10 (or so) random facts about yourself on your blog and then invite a few other bloggers to do the same. Are you up for the challenge?

spookydonkey said...

MMMM!! That looks great! Who knew leeches would look so tasty??

sarah said...

I made this pie again last week and it was just as good!

I haven't decided yet about the tagging thing, just because I am hesitant to talk too much about myself online. Blogging about gardening is one thing; blogging about myself is another. I just feel sorta private.