Thursday, February 14, 2008

Oh No, You Didn't!

It's great that recycling has become so prevalent in the last ten or fifteen years, but the fact is that most of us don't know what, exactly, we're allowed to put in the orange and blue bins.

For a while I put my opened mail envelopes and torn-up [paid] bills in the orange paper recycling bin, then I didn't because I read somewhere--probably the recycling informational materials that I had to hunt down--that I couldn't, and then I must have forgotten about that because a few months ago I started back up with it again. The whole thing is made a lot more confusing by the fact that we are allowed to recycle office paper at work.

So when Kim told me we can now recycle office paper at home, I figured I would just think about my recent paper-recycling practices as being ahead of the curve, rather than "wrong."



Here's our orange (paper) recycling bin last night. The one major flaw in paper recycling is that it rains. Like it did yesterday, and the day before that, and several days last week...


Last week the recycling people wouldn't take our Big Blue because I had forgotten to sort out a few stray pieces of paper. Jeez! This week I didn't make the same mistake.


I don't mean to sound naive, but it really seems like being responsible should be a lot easier in the twenty-first century.

No comments: